Updating the fixture library

Hi,
Does the fixture library auto update when you add a new .sbf file? I’ve created a fixture and saved the file in the Max 8\Packages\Beam for Max\misc\profiles folder, but it’s not showing up as a profile when I try to patch it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi Sam,

Beam for Max scans the Max Search Path for fixture profiles at startup, so you currently need to restart Max in order for any newly added profiles to appear in Patch Editor / beam.core’s get_profiles_metadata dict.

Let me know if your profile appears after you’ve done that.

Hi Luka,

That’s still not working, is it a function that only works with an authorised BEAM licence? I’ve specifically added the packages folder to Max’s search path too, but doesn’t seem to be helping.

No, the only limitation the trial version has is periodic DMX blackouts.

Could you please share the profile you made?

Stairville Quad Par Profile 5x8W RGBW.sbf (1.4 KB)

Thanks for sharing this.

The issue you are experiencing is due to a few errors in the profile JSON:

• missing commas on lines 12 and 28
  • extraneous comma on line 37

In addition to that, “Colour” and “Strobe” channels had already-used addresses specified (5 and 6 are already in use by “White” and “Mode”).

Here is the fixed profile:
Stairville Quad Par Profile 5x8W RGBW (fixed).sbf (1.4 KB)

For manually editing JSON I recommend using a code editor such as VS Code with JSON language mode chosen, so that any errors are highlighted.

In addition to that, you can try this experimental web fixture editor: https://support.showsync.com/fixture-editor - this was made for our internal use, but we are currently evaluating whether it may be helpful for users too. If you try it, please let us know about your experience.