Syncing Issues with Beam to Ableton

Hello, of course a day before a show I’m experiencing a new issue and I can’t troubleshoot it. I just reprogrammed a new MIDI set and now I’m trying to sync Beam with Ableton. I’ve been able to run it before but now with the new set it’s giving me issues. It works when I test the strobes within just the Beam plugin, but for some reason it is not showing up in the Beam instrument within Ableton. Is there an issue with my preferences? Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 11.55.14 AM

Normally the light patch I created would show up in the instrument but it is not syncing this time.
Screen Shot 2023-12-04 at 11.54.59 AM

Hey Brandon, welcome to the forum!

Could you share a screenshot or the file of your patch? And could you make sure that:

• Max is closed. Beam can not connecto Live if Max is open.
  • In Beam’s Settings window, Connect to remote Ableton Live is unchecked.

Yes Max isn’t open, and I do not have that checked.

To be able to control your STROBE fixture, you will need to give it a Tag, on the right side of the window. You can then select this tag in your instrument in Live. Within this tag (which can contain any number of fixtures), each fixture is assigned a MIDI note, which you can configure right next to the tag. You can trigger the envelope in the instrument by triggering the respective MIDI notes. Otherwise, you can use the Intensity dial to control the dim for all fixtures in the tag.

Since your patch is empty and no tags are set, the instrument shows no available tags in its dropdown menu, which is as expected.

Okay great, now it shows up on the Strobe instrument, but when I play the set the midi isn’t being read to the strobe. I have it set as C3 in Beam and that is what the midi is written as.

Additionally since adding the tag it also doesn’t work when I test within BEAM.

Do I need different settings here?

All looks great here!

I think the main problem right now is the fixture profile you’re using for your strobe. What actual strobe are you using?

I have a “generic” strobe I got off amazon. MFL S100-RGB.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MZYQJSA?ref=nb_sb_ss_w_as-reorder_k0_1_5&amp=&crid=Z9OIZOKBA9E&sprefix=mfl%2Bs&th=1

Okay, actually I think the issue was I needed to change the color to White on the instrument and turn down intensity, attack, and release. So far so good, will report back with any other issues. Thank you!

I needed to change the color to White on the instrument and turn down intensity, attack, and release.

Good to hear it seems to be working, although it is a bit strange that this would fix it. Please let us know if you need further help :slight_smile: