No Devices Listed for "External In" Instrument

Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone has a solution for why the built-in webcam on my MacBook Pro is not coming up in the list of devices in the “External In” instrument. The only option it’s giving me is “Off”. When I load up Photo Booth or iMovie, the webcam works fine, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the device itself. Is there somewhere in Live settings that I have to set up video devices or something? I couldn’t find anything on Google about that, and I didn’t see anything in the settings myself. Thank you for your help!

Hey John,

There can be a few reasons why this is happening:

• Videosync is not connected to Live. Make sure it is connected, and if not, check if the Control Surface is selected in Live’s Preferences
  • When replacing an existing Videosync instrument with the External In on the same channel. This is a bug which will be fixed in the upcoming update. For example: when there’s already a Simpler device on the channel, and you double click on External In in the browser to replace the Simpler, the External In will not initiate properly. If you place an External In on a new MIDI channel, it should initiate correctly again.

Let me know if that helps :slight_smile:

Okay, yes the issue was that VideoSync wasn’t connected at all! Somehow the midi Control Surface channel that VideoSync was assigned to reset itself! I think that happened once before, I wonder why that keeps happening. Thank you for the help!

Hey John, happy to hear it’s working for you! Let us know if when Live keeps resetting the Control Surface channel. In that case, we’ll need to investigate what’s going on and see if it’s an issue with Videosync or something we should report to Ableton.

Thanks!