Incorporating different Ableton projects..? (advice wanted)

…slightly off-topic, in that it’s an Ableton question, rather than Videosync, but I want to ask in a Videosync user group:

Being able to incorporate existing Ableton projects into others is very useful for me, as I can drag my ‘sketches’ and test projects into a consolidated single project for performance. I do this in the Session View, via the finder, dragging the ‘.als’ file icon onto the Session View surface.

But I find it inconsistent. Sometimes all the attributes are successfully brought into the new project, and sometimes only partially, or not at all. Do any users have tips on how to do this better?

Any comments or responses are welcome.

Hey Rob,

Did you know you can actually import entire Live Sets, or only parts of them, into your current Live Set from Live’s own browser? You can unfold a Live Set all the way down to the devices or clips on track:

All automation on a track is imported in your current Live Set.
I think where things may get a bit dodgy is when you’re using Max for Live devices on one track (like LFO or Envelope Follower) that are mapped to parameters of devices on other tracks. I would imagine sidechain menus can also lose their settings when importing them, simply because of the different track order.
So I suppose the main thing to consider is that when you’re importing tracks from one Live Set into another, tracks that were interdependent on other tracks through mapping and sidechaining may lose those attribute settings.

hey thanks for quick reply!

I think this is what is happening:

“…tracks that were interdependent on other tracks through mapping and sidechaining may lose those attribute settings…”

Of course I am learning new things about Ableton/Videosync as I go along, so older projects are not always as carefully or ‘correctly’ put together. So this is probably more about learning good habits for the future.

Thanks for helps. You have also reminded me to look at the manual again. The useful Ableton term I had forgotten is “merge”.

1 Like