Ableton + resolume

Hello all, I’m new so please don’t be gentle!

I’m having problems networking 2 computers. They’re both Macbook Pro’s, the one is running Ableton Live 11, the other Resolume Avenue 7 and they’re connected using an ethernet cable. I have set up the network’s on both systems using the Audio Midi Setup and the 2 computers are showing connected in each others participants. I’ve downloaded the M4L devices from ShowSync however, following the instructions in the manual nothing seems to be connecting. Using OSC monitors I can see that OSC is being generated but it doesn’t seem to be received.

Does anyone have any experience / help with this type of set up?

Thanks in advance!

Hi bid,

Welcome to the forum!

For OSC to be sent from one machine to another, there shouldn’t need to be connection set up in Audio MIDI Setup, all you need is for network messages sent from one machine to the IP address of the other to arrive.

Have you tried pinging the Resolume computer from the Live computer?

Here is some information about this: Tips and background info Support | Showsync

Best,
Mattijs

Hi Matijs,

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I’ve ping’d the Resolume computer and have received the same number of responses but still not joy. I notice in the OSC tab of Resolume the IP Address is different to that of the computer, which is also different to the one that I ping’d from.

Ableton computer (which I ping’d from) is 159.254.93.233
Resolume computer (which received and transmitted back the pings) is 159.254. 30.68
OSC tab in Resolume IP: Address is 172.20.20.9 . The incoming port is 7000

The subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0

Cheers,
Bid.

Hi Bid,

So do I understand correctly that, for you, in Resolume only OSC Input is active? Assuming this, I assume by the IP address displayed by Resolume you mean the address on the top of the preferences window, not the Output Address field.

So it is interesting that the address Resolume displays is different from the IP you found for the computer Resolume runs on. Could there be two active network interfaces (e.g. Ethernet and WIFI)? If so, it might be good to try to disable one of them (probably WIFI) and see what happens then.

After opening the OSC monitor view in Resolume’s preferences this is what I see when it’s working:

Best,
Mattijs

One small update: as an alternative to using Resolume to test incoming data, you could try Protokol by Hexler.

Hi Mattijs,

Thanks for the advice and the link to Protokol. Much appreciated.

So, I have made sure no other networks are active and now I have no IP Address visible in the OSC preference tab of Resolume. It shows IP Address 0.0.0.0 which indicates to me there is no network?

When I look in System Preferences of both machines and open the Network tab, under Ethernet it says Self-Assigned IP.

When I open Protokol it doesn’t show any activity if I run Ableton or Resolume which again tells me there is no network connection?

But I don’t understand why there is no network connecting via Ethernet. I’ve bought a brand new cat5 cable to make sure it wasn’t that but there’s no difference. Do I need to go into Advanced page and tweak some inputs? DNS? Renew DHCP Lease? Select a protocol to configure (currently none are selected)? WINS? 802.1X?

It says in the manual “make sure they are on the same network, and fill out the IP address of the computer running Resolume.” Where is this form to fill out and what do you input? The IP address of the computer running Ableton?

“In Resolume make sure the default port is set to receive OSC, and that bundles are turned on.” Where is the default port and bundles can only be switched on if you activate Output, is this correct? Once turned on you deactivate the Output?

Cheers,
Bid.

Hi Mattijs,

I’ve had another morning trying to get this to work and I can say Resolume is now receiving OSC successfully but the delay time is crazy, sometimes up to 30 secs!

Just to check, I have the dispatcher on my Master Track in Ableton, I have a Launcher on the first Audio track in a new session, and a parameter forwarder on a second audio track placed behind the Fade to Grey effect which is controlling the RGB in the dashboard of Resolume.

When I launch a clip it will play but it takes anywhere between 5 seconds and 30 seconds to trigger in Resolume and the same for the fade to grey effecting the value of the RGB. Obviously this isn’t right.

Doing a ping test shows me milliseconds of delay averaged over 10 pings so really unsure why this is taking as long as it is.

I’ve tried shorter cabling (1 is 0.5M) but still the same.

Any ideas? Or if anyone else uses 2 computers to run Ableton on one and Resolume on another and has any help/advice/experience please chip in as this is beginning to drive me crazy.

Cheers,
Bid.

And now to close this thread as I’ve managed to get it working!! Anyone out there that’s struggling to connect 2 computers via a network or, like me, have not had the experience of creating a network before and are confused by all the numbers and where they go in various input fields, I’ll be happy to share what I’ve learnt over the past 2 days!

Thanks you Mattijs for your input and also for creating these great plugins…I’m going off to play with them and experiment in my evolving set up.

Hi bid,

It’s good to hear that you managed to get it working!

I would be interested to hear if the delay you experienced was due to the large amount of OSC messages sent form Live, as that is what I would expect.

And of course, sharing any learnings for anyone who runs into the same issues in the future is very welcome!

Best,
Mattijs

Hi Mattji’s,

It was down to my IP Address and Subnet Mask which, to a novice like myself setting up a network for the first time, was confusing.

It was like a dream now!

Do you have or are you working on any other M4L devices specifically for Resolume?

Cheers,
Bid

Hi bid,

That’s interesting! I’m especially interested in knowing what about the subnet mask and ip address could have resulted in delayed messages. Would you care to elaborate what you changed to make it work?

Cheers,
Mattijs