SoundSwitch+Donner

Hi There,
Is the SoundSwitch Micro DMX Interface compatible with Beam? I’m using it along with the Donner Wireless Transmitter to send information to the Both 360 Pixel Tube.

Thanks.

Hi, thanks for getting in touch!

Unfortunately not. SoundSwitch Micro DMX appears to be proprietary hardware designed to only run with its own software, so it is not likely we can add support for it in the future.

Beam supports these DMX USB devices and any Art-Net node.

Thanks for the response. So if I get the ENTTEC Open DMX with an adapter cable to convert 5 pin to 3 pin XLR and use the Donner wireless receiver, would this setup work with the Both Lighting.
I noticed on your website it says that the Open DMX is unbuffered and relies on the CPU for generating the DMX signal. I have recent a M2 Apple Silicon Mac. Do you think this should be powerful enough to compensate for the unbuffered interface?

So if I get the ENTTEC Open DMX with an adapter cable to convert 5 pin to 3 pin XLR and use the Donner wireless receiver, would this setup work with the Both Lighting.

This should work with Beam.

I noticed on your website it says that the Open DMX is unbuffered and relies on the CPU for generating the DMX signal. I have recent a M2 Apple Silicon Mac. Do you think this should be powerful enough to compensate for the unbuffered interface?

This is not really correlated with how powerful the computer is, but rather how the operating system communicates to the hardware, which is something we have little control over. It seems like this has actually gotten worse with the recent macOS and machines, we observed this issue less in the past.
Read a bit more about it here. It is something that can be observed also with other lighting software and even Enttec acknowledges it:

If you are experiencing issues with flickering with your OPEN DMX USB, then it might be worth looking at the DMX USB Pro or DMX USB Pro MK2 as these devices do all the processing on-board— meaning that the frame rate, Break length, MAB length, can be set for your fixtures and will always be consistent.

Open DMX is still quite usable at the 30 Hz FTDI output rate setting, but I would personally recommend getting Enttec DMX USB Pro or an Art-Net node instead :slight_smile: