Needing help with basic set up

Sorry - was fixing and eating supper… I’ll try uploading in about an hour….

Ah - new users can’t upload files.

Sorry about that, please try again :slight_smile:

Ok, here’s the original patch I sent. I’ll separately post the semi finished version next…
beamtest patch.maxpat (72.3 KB)

And here’s the (possibly) finished version - all i need to do now is connect the sensor data streams and a few other bits and pieces. It looks to be working in Monitor - I’ve got a workshop coming up at the end of January, so I’ll be able to try it out with all the lights then.
By the way, I modified the Generic RGB profile in the Beam for Max/misc/profiles folder, so that mergemode is weightedaverage. It _looks like it’s made a difference in the Monitor window, but it’s a bit hard to tell. I’ll see when I have everything set up.
By the way - do I need to copy the profiles folder to the Max Project folder, or will Beam always pick up the profiles from the main Pckage folder?
beampatch.maxpat (235.4 KB)

Thanks David. Always cool to see our objects in an extensive patch we didn’t make ourselves!

If you want to get an idea of the color after merging, you can use [beam.snapshot] to turn the signal into a dict and then grab the output color from it. In this screenshot, I’m setting the color on a [swatch] object so that I can see what [beam.join] does. You can probably also use it to fill a [jit.matrix] or set the background color of a [panel].

As for where Beam finds the fixture profiles: we use Max’s search path to collect the files. This includes the library but also any path you add manually. See C74’s documentation here: File Preferences - Max 7 Documentation

1 Like

Neat! I’ll try that out (though as I’ve found in the past, the colour displayed in a [panel] doesn’t exactly map to what you see coming out of an LED lamp :slight_smile: )

By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask… in my existing patch I’ve made a crude, by eye, attempt to match 0-255 intensity values from the software to perceived intensity of individual r,g,b colour from the lamps using a hand drawn [table]. I’m trying to smooth out the light intensity as a hand is moved towards a sensor. Left to its own devices, nothing much seems to happen, then there’s a rapid increase to full intensity about 2/3 through the movement range, then nothing much over the last third. And of course, the perceptual changes are different for red, green and blue (i haven’t tried to compensate for each colour individually).
The question is - does Beam do any kind of mapping so that a linear control signal produces a (fairly) linear increase or decrease of perceived lighting intensity?